Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Southern Belle and the Sexy Mexi!

In case any of you were unaware, Sam is Mexican. He's not Mexican like the way I am French. What I mean by that is that my ancestors were from France but Sam was actually born in Mexico. Does this or did this ever bother me? No. I did think about it but mostly about me not fitting in with his family. I thought about learning Spanish which made me think about the hot topic of illegal immigrants. I thought about all the things I have heard and repeated about Mexicans growing up. I have pondered all of this a great deal. For me, I look at Sam and I see my future. When I prayed about him and when I think about him, a peace comes over me that I cannot begin to describe. I don't see him as different, I just see him as mine! Ha Ha

I called my Mommy Pies the other day and she was crying. She had just gotten off the phone with her Dad. I love my Paw-Paw! I remember the smell of his pipe and the way we'd dump our left over ice cream into his bowl to finish. He was so kind and everything a Grandfather should be. I even hoped one day my children would refer to my Dad as their Paw-Paw because the term has so much meaning to me. So wait...why was my Mom crying? My Paw Paw had recieved my announcement. He was not happy. He said some ignorant things about Mexicans and told my Mom he didn't want to have anything to do with Sam and I. My Mom is never to bring us around him. He said more but that's the jist of it folks, I've been disowned. I didn't think he'd take it like this but I guess I should have known. If Sam were black I wouldn't even have sent him the announcement.

I am not, nor will I ever be someone who gives racism much thought. We are all discriminated against for different reasons and in different degrees. It is all the same in my eyes and it is all wrong. I was hated because I was white. I was treated cruely because I was overweight. I was teased because I wore glasses. It has been assumed I am stupid because I'm from the South. I had friends who's parents wouldn't let them hang out with me because my parents were divorced. My family was discriminated against when they came to this country. They were not allowed to speak Cajun and so the dialect was almost lost forever. The pioneers of my religion gave their lives for it. On the flip side, I have definitely made my share of racist remarks and laughed at all the "black jokes" I heard in school. I have treated people badly who were different from me. I can honestly admit it because we all do it. I would not believe someone who said they've never been cruel to another human being.

I can't believe this is a part of my story. My Paw-Paw is 71 and I am his fourth grandchild he has done this to. He's an old Southern man with old Southern beliefs. Like I said before, when I look at Sam I don't see him as different. I know we are different, in more ways than one! We compliment each other. His strengths are my weaknesses and vise versa. He gives what I need and needs what I give. He thinks very rationally and doesn't let his emotions blurr his judgement while I am completely ruled by mine. My emotions are all to the extreme and I am dramatic 24 hours a day! He likes most foods and I like almost nothing. He's my churro and I'm his vanilla bean! When I look at our hands or our pictures I can see we are different but "Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."-Emily Bronte

7 comments:

Jessa said...

your words almost brought me to tears. i'm so excited for you and sam. it won't be easy but it will definately be a worthy adventure.

Megan said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa Jean. I know it must hurt you, but the important thing is that you found Sam, and you guys love each other, and nothing else matters. You two are going to be married for eternity and have a wonderful life together! Maybe one day your grandpa will come around.

Elissa said...

I'm so sorry about that Jean!! Its sad that even now and days there are people who still discriminate by the color of someones skin, even though that person is the best possible person for you! What matters most is that he's a worthy man that does what is right and will make you happy! Obviously my perfect guy had different skin color than me but oh well it's fun to crack jokes at his milky skin and all those freckles! Good luck to you guys, I hope that you guys won't always have to deal with stuff like this!

Lacey.costner said...

What ignorance!! Sam seems like such an amazing guy, and I'm sure he has more of an educational background than your grandpa, and he is going to be making more money than your grandpa has probably ever made, and, SAm's taxes will be helping to pay for your grandpa's living expenses....isn't it ironic??? All of our lives connect somehow and depend on one another...You should tell him to watch that movie "Crash" It really opened my eyes! You guys are going to be so happy and eventually your grandpa will hopefully see and understand that!! I'm so sorry and we love you!!

Erica East said...

I know Paw-Paw really hurt you. I'm so sorry for that. I feel sorry for him. He is going to miss out on a lot of fun! Knowing you and Sam is great! I'm so excited that I get to be apart of y'alls life. I love you.

Nancy said...

That is so sad about your grandpa. Luckily I haven't had to experience that. I really think my family likes Felipe more than they like me. Anyone who really knew Sam would love him! Hopefully everything will all work out.

aLiCe said...

I tagged you :) go to my blog and do it!!