Thursday, January 28, 2010

Anguish

I was all prepared to write a cheery blog about Sammy being two months and tell everyone how his doctor appointment went. It got cancelled unexpectedly so expect it sometime next week. But there is something I would like to write about...

Yesterday, a friend of mine lost her mother to suicide. I have known her family since I was 8 years old. Both of my friend's parents worked with my Mom at Cumberland Chrysler Plymouth. I met Amanda at the company Christmas parties. I was also best friends with Amanda's cousin April. Both April's parents and Amanda's parents helped raise me. When three of us got into trouble I got punished...not by my Dad but I was punished becaused they were grounded and they were my best friends. Cathy, Amanda's Mom, also coached the softball team that were rivals with the team Erica played for so Amanda and I would switch sides and root for our sisters. Countless sleep overs and road trips. We were even roommates for one semester at UNCP. It has been five or six years since I have seen her or April. They were such a big part of my life that I still think of them all the time.

Cathy was a strong woman and a classic Southern lady...meaning you would not wanna mess with her! I am not ashamed to admit that I was scared of her! Ha! She was awesome! She was a hardcore Redskins fan! Unfortunately, she was also a Duke fan. When I came to see Angela's (Amanda's Sister) baby she made me cover up my UNC shirt to take a picture. Around 1999 she was diagnosed with MS and it was hard to see such a strong lady with this disease.

Now she is gone. I called my parents because they considered her a friend. I called some of Amanda's friends to let them know so they could pray for her. I asked some people to go to the funeral.

I cried. Mostly, I cried for Amanda and her sisters. I cried for April and her mom, Peggy, who was Cathy's sister. It is frustrating to be so far away from home when things like this happen. I want to be there with them. I want to hug them and let them cry. I want to cry with them. I can't imagine a woman as strong as Cathy believing she had no other option. That thought makes me sad. I even felt a little angry. If I am being honest...more than a little angry. That may seem terrible but it's one of the emotions I am feeling. I thought about a friend that had killed himself just a few days after he let me know he was excited to come to my wedding. It had broken my heart. I couldn't believe he could do that and wondered if he had thought about the people he left behind. I thought the same thing about Cathy. Didn't she realize how crushed Amanda would be? All of her daughters, her husband, her grandchildren, her sisters, her nieces, and her nephew. This is a family that is together practically every weekend and never spends a single holiday apart. How could she do that to them? I know she loved them so she must have been going through something that she didn't believe she could bare any longer. To know that she may have felt that way is just so...I can't even describe how that feels. There aren't even words for this! She left a note so at least they know why even though it can't possibly make it hurt any less.

I just read over this blog. It is kind of all over the place. I just wanted to write all my feelings down. I can't believe she is gone. I can't believe this is real. I love them so much. Those of you from NC know Amanda and April. Please pray for them. I can't imagine how hard this must be for them.

And to Cathy, I hope you find peace. I hope you know how much your family loved you. I hope you know that you were loved and admired by others. I am sorry I was always getting Amanda into trouble. Thank you for letting her continue to be my friend. I love you and I am sorry for how you must have been feeling. Love, Jean

7 comments:

Jacob said...

wow jean. i am so sorry. really, there arent words to suffice. but, she and her family and loved ones, and you are in my prayers. love to all involved!
loves,
britt

Megan said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Amanda! I will keep her family in my prayers.

Living the Life of Riley said...

Awww Jean... Im very sorry for yor loss. MS is horrible. I know her fam misses her deeply but the pain of MS is unbearable, she was desperate im sure. I have an aunt who has had it for 10+ years...no one deserves MS! At the very least know that your friends mom is pain free.. again sorry for your loss.

Jessa said...

this made me cry. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your friends the best for the future.

i love you, jean!

can't wait for sammy's update!

xoxo

Los Industriosos said...

I'm sorry for such a sad thing to happen to you and your friends. We will pray for all of you!

BreAnn said...

Jean, I'm so sorry for this loss in your life. Suicide is such a hard death to deal with. I'll definitley be keeping this family in my thoughts.

Green River High School said...

I'm sorry Jean. We had a family member commit suicide several about a year ago. It is so frustrating to think they would do that and they saw no other option but it's also a good time to reflect upon the plan of salvation. It's amazing what we know. I am so sorry for your loss and I know that you will be there for your friends through this difficult time. We're here if you need to talk!
xoxo!