I hate to admit this but I have not done anything to help the cause of protecting marriage in California other than put a sign in my yard. Now, I am angry and disappointed in myself. I have always tried to stay out of politics because I get so angry that I almost always lose my temper. I thought that since we all have different talents that politics was going to be the fight for others that have the patience to handle it. Like my friend Trev. :) I also didn't think that the world was that far gone yet. This issue and this election has made me realize that I was very wrong. I always thought I would be ready when the Lord needed me to fight but I have clearly missed the call.
This weekend our sign was stolen and it really bothered me like way down deep. Not that it motivated me to get involved, because it didn't. Then at work a friend of mine told me he wasn't 100% sure which way he was voting. It devastated me! This was the first time I had heard anyone I know say they weren't sure. I didn't know enough to even discuss it because once again talking politics puts me in a murderous rage! LOL I made up my mind as soon as I heard about it without any research. I thought about it and had an instant strong confirmation in my heart and mind of which way I should vote. Once I have made my mind up about something it is darn near impossible to convince me otherwise. Some people have called me closed minded but I actually believe I am extremely opened minded. I say that because I am prideful and really like to be right, who doesn't? :) So I always want to know that the side I am on is the right one. After I have decided which side is right I am done listening to the other side. When the Church released it's statements it only confirmed that the decision I had made was right.
On the way home I saw teenagers at four corners of an intersection holding up Yes on Prop 8 signs. It made me so mad at myself and I know that I seriously need to repent. Those kids probably do not have the testimony that I have and yet there they were. This blog is the start of my repentance, I guess. To openly admit that I have done absolutely nothing but to say to my friends and family reading that I tonight I will pray for the strength to never have to admit something like this again. I heard the letters from the First Presidency urging us to get involved and I ignored them. I am ashamed of myself. The vote is next week and I hope there is still something going on that I can help with. I felt very strongly today that I will be held accountable for what I did not do concerning this cause.
My initial reactions are that I cannot separate my emotions or take the religion factor out and the fact that people are doing just that is what is wrong with our country today. It scares me and angers me. This is so ridiculous that there are people even debating this. That internal feeling of right and wrong comes from our creator. Those "rights" that they claim to be entitled to come from God Himself. He created marriage and the rules don't change because a few people decide they aren't fair anymore. The time has come when you must choose between what is right and what is popular.
Another friend of mine and I were talking and she was down because we were discussing these things. She said she feels like she is fighting a battle that we are losing. From the deepest part of my heart I want her to know that we will win! I used to think that the final battle between good and evil would happen long after I left the earth but I know that it has already begun.
Taken from Trev's email sending me all his info on Prop 8, "I hope this helps. There are many who are choosing to go against the First Presidency on this, and it is sad. The philosophies of men, and views of the world are more acceptable to many than the word of the Lord. This is a wheat and tares issue. I'm glad your wheat."
Well, I wasn't but I am now. My days of sitting on the sidelines are over. I hope I am not too late to join the fight!
2 comments:
Wheat tastes better anyways!! Well, atleast you are now getting involved, thats more than a lot of other people. I think thats awesome that teenagers are fighting for the cause as well. You just keep on being that strong Wheat and popularity NEVER wins out in the end!!
Reading this blog really inspired me. Reading about those teenagers made my heart swell with pride. At least there are still people out there fighting.
I just want you to know that I know we are on the right side of this fight.
While others are fighting for the world, we are fighting for the truth! Always remember that!
"The war is raging all around me
I'm weary and battle-worn
The forces of the night surround me, threatening to destroy
And the battlefield is strewn with broken lives
torn and tattered in the struggle to survive
but I will not be a casualty of I'll fight with a fearless heart
The darkness bids me to surrender
My weakness begs me to retreat
The faith sustains its true defenders, with the promise of relief
And the battlefield is strewn with broken lives
torn and tattered in the struggle to survive
but I will not be a casualty of this war I didn't start
I'll fight with a fearless heart
I will not lay my courage down
until the enemy is found
I will not die
And the battlefield is strewn with broken lives
torn and tattered in the struggle to survive
but I will not be a casualty of this war I didn't start
I'll fight with a fearless heart"
Post a Comment