Monday, October 26, 2009

Mr Ern wins the lottery!



Y'all know my Dad, Mr Ern! He is hard working and easy going. When referring to my Dad or before telling a story I usually say, "Bless his heart, he is such a bumpkin." LOL He is the classic country boy from the bayou. Growing up my Dad would pay bills at the kitchen table where he also would clip coupons. I never gave much thought to how hard it must have been raising two girls for him. I loved every minute of it! I loved coming and going through my teenage years with my Dad faithfully guarding his post...the couch! I loved letting the dishes pile up until he got mad enough to yell about it. I loved hearing his Cajun music blare when he was working on something in the garage. I loved yelling over the banister for him to go to bed when he'd fallen asleep and the TV was still on full blast after midnight. I even loved coming all the way downstairs to get him the remote that had ended up on the far side of the couch.

Anyway, my Dad used to grumble to himself as he paid bills and it is seriously one of my favorite memories of him. You'd repeatedly hear, "Aww sh** and Son of a bi***! The best was when he got something in the mail from Publisher's Clearing House because here is what you'd hear, "You lying sack of sh**!" If you were ever close enough to ask him what was wrong he'd tell you he was "gonna kick Ed Mcmahon's butt if he don't hand over my million dollars!" Well sadly he never got his million dollars.

Since Erica and I moved to Utah and then I got married and moved to California my Dad has been saying he needs to win the lottery so he can afford to come see us. Now that I am pregnant he keeps telling the guys at his work he has to win so he can go see his Grandbaby. Well, it came time to plan the trip and still no luck. They bought tickets to come visit the first week in December. I cannot wait to see him and to watch him hold Sammy.

I called him on Saturday and told him the update from the week by week book like I always do and he got all fired up talking about what he heard on the Glenn Beck show like he always does. Then he goes, "Oh I almost forgot to tell you, I finally won the lottery." That's right folks, Mr Ern had a $500 ticket which covers his $480 plane tickets to California. He didn't seem all that surprised because...as he said, "Well, I been tellin the boys at work I had to win the lottery to come see my Grandbaby." LOL

9 comments:

Erica East said...

LOL!!! I still cannot believe that Dad actually won the lottery. Its just too bad that it wasn't more money. If anyone deserves to win, it is Dad.

It was really nice to read this blog and remember a taste of what life was like. We were really lucky to be raised by such an amazing Dad. I love him so much.

Lacey.costner said...

oh goodness, what a sweet post of memories about your dad. I'm so excited that he gets to see his grandbaby now!

meghan said...

What a cute story. You will have to take lots of pictures of him holding Sammy. I am sure they will be so cute together.

Living the Life of Riley said...

Awwww. how sweet. Now if you can just get your sis here at the same time, like old times.. Im happy for you. I enjoy getting my dad fired up about stupid things just to hear him say "son of a b****"! fun times.

Nancy said...

I love your dad memories. That is so neat that he is coming to see you guys and that he is so excited for his grandbaby. See you all in a few weeks.

Jessa said...

that's the best story ever.
can't wait to hold baby sammy myself but I guess its appropriate for him to hold him before I do.

xoxo

Megan said...

Aw! Your dad is the best. He deserves it!

Green River High School said...

hahahah, sorry I just had to laugh. A lot. This is a great story! LOVED it.

ceniza studios said...

Ha HA I want to meet your dad...