

I had it all figured out. Armed with my Parents magazines and What to Expect the First Year I knew exactly when I was going to start weening Sammy off of his pacifiers. Everything by the book. LOL At six months he only gets it when he naps and at bed time and then gone completely at one year. I bought such cute little pacifiers and I bought some of each kind. Things were going well. Then Sammy found his fingers. Now I cannot keep them out of his mouth and he hates pacifiers. My pediatrician said to get him hooked on pacifers because they are better and you can take them away. If he keeps sucking his fingers you can't take them away. So for a good two weeks I spent all day taking his fingers out of his mouth and putting in a pacifier only to watch him spit them out.
I started reading a ton of articles online. I read everything I could find. Most said there won't be any permanent damage unless he continues past age 4. I also read a lot that said if we try to stop him from sucking his fingers he may do it longer than he normally would if we just let it be. Sam and I have decided to just let him suck his fingers and hope he stops at about a year like we read. If he doesn't we will worry about it then.
I am not writing this so that I can get everyone's advice or opinions although you are free to give it. I am writing it to acknowledge and remind myself that parenting is not always going to go by the book. I get these updates from these parenting websites and also the book that I am reading all tell me what Sammy should be doing. I found myself worrying about it. I am trying to relax a bit. I just want to be a good mom...not like anyone wants to be a bad mom. I have worried for most of my life that I didn't have those motherly instincts because my mom was not really motherly. I wish I could say that I would stop obsessing over the things I read but I probably still will. I am just going to try to remind myself that people have been raising children for thousands of years without the information that is available today. Here's to taking it one day at a time. :)
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Dilemma
Posted by Jeanie Doll at 7:37 AM
Labels: Family, Samuel James
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I worried myself sick with Whitney and all the things she was or wasn't doing as a baby. (She STILL sucks her thumb...) I'm glad you found out (sooner than I did!) that parenting is definitely not always by the book. My mom told me to just do the best you can and you kids will be fine. I know you and Sam are doing your best and Sammy will be JUST FINE!
I'll post a belly pic soon. :)
your a great mom! All babies are differnt.. Just keep him out of harms way and dont sweat the small stuff.
Shoot.. Riley had a binky 'till 3. Even strangers would "give me advice" on the binky. one day the last binky broke, and she was fine with it. So I say if Sammy wants to suck his fingers, dont stress. he will be fine and so will you.
Sometimes it is so hard to know what the "right" thing to do is when parenting. Just pray a lot. I am sure you and Sam are doing a great job!
Ha, i love the bit about if you try to take the fingers out he will suck longer than normal. I was a big thumb sucker, and I remember my mom putting something nasty on my thumb so I wouldn't suck and I did it anyways just to stick it to the man, even though it tasted nasty.
Parenting never goes by the book. I completely agree. We don't have the thumb issue but we do have the pacifier issue. It is not always so easy to break. My boys still randomly ask for them when they are very tired. We try not to give in, but you just don't get a rule book at the hospital when they come. It would be nice if you did ;0)
What Megan said is true, as long as you are doing your best then Sammy will be okay. You are the best Mommy that I know.
ok aside from the dilemma he is soooo freakin cute jean. and thank you for all your sweet comments! i think he is so cute, that he deserves whatever he wants. im sure you dont agree and i wont agree when im a mom. but he is sooo cute!
loves!
britt
ok aside from the dilemma he is soooo freakin cute jean. and thank you for all your sweet comments! i think he is so cute, that he deserves whatever he wants. im sure you dont agree and i wont agree when im a mom. but he is sooo cute!
loves!
britt
he is still so tiny, fingers ain't no big thing, although if I do see Sammy past three with a binkie or fingers in the mouth, I might just have to make a comment....only because I care about his oral health and speech development!! lol Love you and you are a great mom!
Post a Comment