When I was on my mission we had a certification program. You had to read the complete New Testament, Book of Mormon, D & C, the Pearl of Great Price but only parts of the Old Testament. So I thought within myself that I wasn't going to bother with the rest of the Old Testament because it couldn't be that important if we weren't required to read it on the mission. My first calling after the mission was a Seminary teacher for (Surprize Surprize) the Old Testament. Relief Society was full of boring old ladies so I started ditching. To fix that the Lord in His wisdom gave me a second calling as a counselor in the Presidency. "Smite! Take that Jean!"
I thought I had learned my lesson. My first speaking assignment in this ward was about scripture study and I gave one of my best talks I think. It was very personal and heart felt. I told the Old Testament story above and added that teaching Seminary had taught me a lot. I talked about how much the scriptures meant to me. I was excited! I love church assignments, they keep me out of trouble. :) So a few weekends ago I got a call from the High Counselor. They wanted to meet with me about a calling. Sam joked that it was teaching Seminary and I remembered the comments I had made in my talk. Stupid Jean!! Sam and I are looking for a new house so I thought it only fair to tell them. They told me that they were going to ask me to teach Seminary but if we were moving they would try to find someone else and cancelled our meeting. Whew!!!! I mean, I do want a calling but Seminary is rough!! Last week I learned that two of my bosses were called to teach Seminary. I playfully said, "Oh they just asked me to do that but I told them we were moving. Oh yeah, I dodged that bullet!" I imagine the Lord looking down and thinking to Himself, "Oh really Jean." This morning the Stake President called and asked for Sam. He wanted to talk to us and brought Sam into his office first. I was thinking Sam would be called to assist in the Spanish Branch. Not so. When I walked in Sam was smiling really big and the Stake President said, "Sister Rivera, we know your moving but we'd like to call you as a Seminary teacher." He continued, "Bishop was very impressed with your testimony and the talk that you gave." Stupid Jean! Of course I said yes and of course I am happy to serve but Seminary is rough! Last time I taught I did have that and another calling but no job. This time I have a job and a husband. I had just prayed this morning that we'd find a house so we could be settled and I could get a calling. Be careful what you wish for folks! Why couldn't I have talked about how much I loved working in the Library, Geez! Me and my big mouth!Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Next time mention how you love to put the hymnals away after a meeting and ponder how much you were touched by the talks as you walk through the pews. Maybe then you could be the ward hymn putter awayer!! That is cool though that you get to teach Seminary. Although if I remember correctly early morning seminary didn't go over that easily with you.
I know, I already told the kids that it was hard for me. I didn't even make it one year! Good idea though, hymn putter awayer sounds like a cake job! lol
LOL!!! I know it is going to be challenging to teach Seminary, but it will be worth it. I'm really happy that you are doing it because you are a great teacher. I always remember everything that you teach me. I love you and I'm proud of you. It's good to be your sister.
Hey--I want that calling. Hymn putter awayer, NOT seminary teacher! You'll be great though! Good luck.
lol Jean as always, doesn't the Lord have the greatest sense of humor? I'm sure you will be an awesome seminary teacher and Good Luck!!
lol Jean as always, doesn't the Lord have the greatest sense of humor? I'm sure you will be an awesome seminary teacher and Good Luck!!
Whoa, you must be pretty righteous to be a Seminary teacher (or pretty unlucky!). Seriously though, you'll do great!!
Post a Comment