Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shake, Rattle, & Roll

There are few things I love more than sleeping beside my hubby. We seem to just fit perfectly for cuddling. Falling asleep holding each other is very sweet but waking up with an elbow in my face or me drooling all over one of his arms makes me laugh. Sam has a week off in between rotations so we have been being lazy for the past few days. Yesterday we were taking a nap when the earthquake happened. Flojo started barking fiercely and I sat straight up and heard what sounded like thunder. The walls looked like putty the way they were moving but I had no idea what was happening. Sam yelled, "Baby, it's an earthquake. We've gotta go!" I screamed and I didn't even mean to it just came out. I got half way to the door and turned back to get my glasses and grab my cell phone.

Now before the Jean/Cell Phone jokes start rolling in let me just say in my defense that I was worried that I would need to call for help. Even though this whole ordeal took less than a minute or two I had this vision of Sam and I being trapped in a pile of rubble with no way to call for help. Sam is probably never going to let me live that down but I maintain that I wasn't doing it out of my need for gossip.
So back to the story. I grab my glasses and cell phone and Sam pulls me into the door way. I was freaking out but I don't remember that. I remember that I couldn't move but Sam said I was shaking. He was highly upset that I had risked my safety to go back for my glasses and cell phone. He was telling me to snap out of it but all I could do was stand there. When it was over I let two anxiety tears run down my cheeks and hugged my hubby. That scared the crap out of me! I think what made it so bad was the sound of panic in his voice. Of course he was panicked because he was worried about me getting hurt. I survived my first earthquake folks. It was terrifying but Sam and I are already joking about it. Well, Sam is joking about me running back for my glasses and cell phone and I am defending myself. Me-I need my glasses to see! Sam-You know where the door is!
My final thought on this is that I miss the South where things make sense. Sure we have hurricanes but you get at least two or three days notice to stock up on supplies out get outta dodge. Ah, the memories of the storms. My dad coming home all mad because paranoid people had bought everything in Wal-mart. Hurricane Fran quote from Mr Ern, "Paranoid sons of *Bleeps*! Nobody buys milk unless there's a *Bleep Bleepin* storm coming. I'll bet there ain't a pack of batteries left in the whole *Bleepin* state! No *Bleep Bleepin* bread, all they had left were *Bleeping* bagels!" I'll let those of you that know him fill in the blanks and those that don't can use your imagination.

1 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

aawwww lol, well of course you HAVE to have a CELL PHONE!!! Earthquakes sound scary, but I'm glad ya'll are safe. And in reply to Mr. Ern's quote....HOW TRUE HOW TRUE!! But I loved watching the sky change, but no power....not cool. And he said Freak in those blanks right?? lol